Monday, November 17, 2014

Class Topics: 11.17.14

In Common Core Math Six today, class began by students completing three review questions from previous lessons in Chapter Four.  Mr. Giomini presented a blended question to the students today that incorporated multiple skills from Chapter Four into one question.  Students spent time working independently and with a colleague to solve the problem.

As a class, the question was discussed and a correct answer was determined.  To help with test preparation, Mr. Giomini revisited Lesson 4.3 - 4.6 which dealt decimal computations.

P.O.N. (Problem of the Night)
A student's solution to the equation m + 0.63 = 5 was m = - 62.5.  Was the student correct or incorrect?  Justify your response.

Today's Learning Goals: The student will be able to...
  • apply and extend previous knowledge understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
  • understand solving an equation as a process.  
For Evening Practice, the student is expected to...

11 comments:

  1. it is wrong because 62.5 + 0.63 is about 66 and 66 is no where near 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The student is incorrect, because 0.63+62.5=63.5 not 5. I solved the equation and m=4.37 not 62.5.

    sincerely Shaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaw,

      Nice work of proving their answer incorrect by modeling not only that their answer was incorrect, but also how what the answer should be.

      Delete
  3. The students answer is incorrect." M" should equal 4.37. I got my answer by first knowing that I have to isolate the m. I then make m by itself by subtract .63 from .63. Next, if you subtract .63 from one side you must do to the other side. So, when you subtract 5. from .63 you should get 4.37. " M" is equal to 4.37.

    Knickerbaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knickerbaker,

      Thank you for the thorough explanation to your response. Good use of vocabulary such as isolate and subtract.

      Delete
  4. The student's answer was incorrect because m=5.37 and I solved that by writing the equation (m+0.63=5) and then I solved it. I subtracted 0.63 from each side and came up with m=5.37 as my answer.
    Grissinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Griss,

      I like that you subtracted 0.63 from both sides of the equation. However, how do you subtract a positive decimal from 5 and get a larger number?

      Delete
  5. The students response to this problem is incorrect because m=4.37. I got my answer by subtracting 0.63 from itself and 5. When i got 4.37 i added 4.37 to 0.63 to check my work and i got 5.00 which is the same as 5.

    Benware

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benware,

      I like that you included in your response how you checked your answer to see if it worked. That is a solid mathematical tool to use when dealing with equations.

      Delete
  6. The student is incorrect because M should equal 4.37. To get 4.37 I isolated the variable which is m. Then, I subtracted .63 from .63 which cancels .63 out. Next I subtracted 5 from 0.63 which is 4.37, so m= 4.37

    Cesnick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for replying Cesnick. I enjoyed reading your response and feel that it justifies your thinking.

      Delete