Monday, November 10, 2014

Class Topics: 11.10.14

In Common Core Math Six today, class completed their Chapter Four Midpoint Quiz Retake. Early finishers worked on story problems involving adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions.

How many 3/4-cup servings are in 2/3 of a cup of yogurt?



Answer to 11.07.14 Question: First, you have six pieces of wood that are 50 3/4 inches long.
Convert 50 3/4 to a decimal, 50.75, and times it by 6 to see how much wood you have.
The product for that is 304.5 or 304 1/2 inches of wood.  You know that each side is 7.25 or 7 1/4 inches long. If you would like to work with fractions, you convert both to improper fractions and divide.  Leaving them as decimals makes 304.5 your dividend and 7.25 your divisor.  If you decided to work with fractions, you have 609/2 divided by 29/4.  Using either algorithm, you end up with 21 sides for your birdhouses.  

Today's Learning Goals: The student will be able to...
  • apply and extend previous knowledge with multiplication and division to work with fractions.
  • apply and extend previous knowledge understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
For Evening Practice, the student is expected to...
  • complete page 32 and 33 in Chapter Four.  

16 comments:

  1. I got 1/2 because the operation is division so I flipped the 2/3 to 3/2 and then divided that by 3/4 and got 1/2

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8/9

    Jack Fazio 3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  3. My answer is: 8/9, because 2/3 divided by 3/4= 2/3 x 4/3= 8/9

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1, because 2/3 is less than 3/4. Doumbas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doumbas,

      I am not confident that you are understanding the algorithm to use.

      Delete
  5. The answer is 8/9. I got my answer by knowing that they want to see how many 3/4 cups can go into 2/3. That then tells me to divide 2/3 divided by 3/4. When you divide you turn It into a multiplication problem. Once you turn it into a multiplication problem you have to flip the second fraction. Then multiply. When I multiplied I got 8/9.

    Snicker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snicker,

      Nice response. I would like to see the work reciprocal in your explanation.

      Delete
  6. I got 8/9 by dividing 2/3 divided by 3/4 but you would flip 3/4 to 4/3 so then you multiply 2/3x4/3 and get 8/9.

    Corona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corona,

      Good to see you participating in this discussion. What word can you use to replace "flip" in your statement.

      Delete
  7. I think that the answer is 8/9 of a serving. I came up with my answer by taking
    2/3 divided by 3/4, and then I took 2/3 and left it the same but I used the recipical
    of 3/4 which is 4/3and then I multiplied them together to get my answer of 8/9 of a
    serving. :)
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got 9/8, when I divided 3/4 by 2/3 I first flipped the 2/3 to make it 3/2 the I multiplied the numerators and denominators.
    Bratton

    ReplyDelete