Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Class Topics: 11.11.14

In Common Core Math Six today, class began by students completing three review questions from previous lessons in Chapter Four.  Mr. Giomini shared with the students that the Chapter Four Posttest would be administered on November 20th.  Lesson 4.9: Estimate with Fractions was introduced, modeled, and practiced.

How many times does two-thirds go into eight-thirds?  Provide a reasonable 
estimate with an explanation and then an exact answer.



Answer to 11.10.14 Question: The question asked how many 3/4 cups are in 2/3 cups.  I interpret this as how many times does 3/4 go into 2/3 meaning that I will divide 2/3 by 3/4.  When dividing fractions, I must multiply by the second fraction's reciprocal, 2/3 * 4/3 = 8/9 servings.  

Today's Learning Goals: The student will be able to...
  • apply and extend previous knowledge with multiplication and division to work with fractions.
  • apply and extend previous knowledge understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
For Evening Practice, the student is expected to...
  • complete page 30 and 31 in Chapter Four.  

7 comments:

  1. I believe the answer is 4, because the numerators were 8 and 2, so you would divide them to get 4
    Votruba 3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Votruba,

      Thanks for contributing to the discussion! I agree with your answer, I just want to hear a little more about the process of getting four for the answer.

      Delete
  2. exact answer is 4/1 or 4. the estimate is 5 1/2

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got an answer of 4 for the exact bye dividing 8/3 by 2/3 but you flip 2/3 to 3/2 and i got an exact answer of 4/1 but it can be simplified to 4. i got an estimate of 3 bye changing 8/3 to 2 2/3 and 2/3 to 1 and then i did 3 divided by 1 and got 3

    corona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corona,

      Thanks for participating! I agree with your answer. Nice work of explaining your estimation as well. My critique would be to use the word "reciprocal" rather than "flip" next time. Besides that, looks good kid.

      Delete
  4. The exact answer for this problem is 4. The estimated answer is 3 1/2. I got my exact answer by knowing that they want to know how many times 2/3 could go into 8/3. That tells me that you have to divide 8/3 divided by 2/3. When dividing you have to do the reciprocal for a multiplication problem and reverse the fraction. Then multiply, which then I got 4. When estimating you either estimate the fraction to 0,1/2, or 1. For the fraction 8/3 I first made it into a mixed number and then estimated It to 3. Next I estimated 3/2 to 1 1/2. Last I simply multiplied and got approximately 3 1/2.

    Knickscellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knickscellent,

      To begin, I love the name! Secondly, nice job of incorporating the term "reciprocal" into your answer. Good work with answering both part of the question. Keep participating on the blog!

      Delete