Thursday, November 06, 2014

Class Topics: 11.06.14

In Common Core Math Six today, Mr. Giomini combined Lesson 4.7: Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers and Lesson 4.8: Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers.  Students discussed the similarities between the two algorithms.

One of the primary focuses of both lessons was helping students with cross reducing to help make the step of simplifying the final product easier.  Several models where provided and students had independent practice at their desks.

The weight of an object on the moon is one-sixth its weight on Earth.
If a bowling ball weighs 12.5 pounds on Earth, how much will it weigh on the moon?

Answer to 11.05.14 Question: It will take approximately 363.64 days for the glacier
to move 20 m.  An equation similar to 20 = 0.055d could get you the correct answer.


Today's Learning Goals: The student will be able to...
  • apply and extend previous knowledge with multiplication and division to work with fractions.
For Evening Practice, the student is expected to...
  • complete page 25 and 27 in Chapter Four.  

8 comments:

  1. The answer for the problem is 25/12 which can be reduced to 2 1/12 pounds.
    I got my answer by knowing that when It " 1/6th its weight" that told me to multiply. The key word in that was "its". I then, multiplied 12.5 times 1/6. First I made 12.5 a fraction which would be 12 1/2. then I converted 12 1/2 into an improper fraction. The improper fraction is 25/2. Next, I had to multiply. Before I started to multiply though I made sure I couldn't do any cross reduction. Which in this case I couldn't. Last I just simply multiplied across and got the answer of 25/12. It cant be simplified.


    Knickster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knickster,

      I won't state whether you are correct or not, but I will say that I like how you converted the improper to a mixed number because that makes more sense when working with pounds. Nice use of transition words in your explanation. You are quick with your answer.

      Delete
  2. I figured out my mistake.

    Knick

    ReplyDelete
  3. The answer would be 1/75 because when it tells you" it's weight that means to divide."

    Knick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I think about It I think I am going to stick with my first answer.


    Knick

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought you meant to redue the problem.

    Knick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the answer for the bowling ball question is the bowling ball weighs 2.5 lbs on the moon

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bowling ball ways 2 pounds. My proof is that 12.5 is equal to 12 5/100 which is equal to 12 1/20 and 12 1/20 is equal to 240/20 and that is equal to 12. Then I multiplied 1/6 times 12/1 and that equals 12/6, and 12/6 is equal to 2. So the bowling was 2 pounds on the moon.

    Romes

    ReplyDelete