Thursday, May 17, 2012

Class Topics: 05.17.12

In EDM today, students reviewed for their Chapter Eight Summative Assessment dealing with Percents that will be administered on Friday, May 18th.  During class, students collaborated with peers to make corrections to their Chapter Eight Formative Pre-test.  Once corrections were made, Mr. Giomini and the students discussed the answers and clarified any areas of confusion.
Today's Learning Intentions: The students will be able to...
  1. calculate the missing value in a percent problem.
  2. solve one-step equations.
  3. write equivalent percents, decimals and fractions.
  4. substitute given values into a formula.
For Evening Practice, the student CAN...
  1. review the videos posted to the blog to help with test preparation.




In Pre-Algebra today, the students received back their Chapter Nine Summative Post-test from Mr. Giomini.  The grades are on GBW unless a student has not completed the assessment.  The class average is right at a 90% which is commendable.  Students then solved problems on their Chapter Ten Formative Pre-test.  This chapter includes topics such as: solving two-step equations, solving multistep equations, evaluating equations with variables on both sides and graphing multistep inequalities.
Today's Learning Intentions: The student should be able to...
  1. determine the difference between a permutation and combination.
  2. use factorials to solve story problems.
  3. manipulate the data in a simulation to determine the likelihood of an event occurring.
  4. calculate the odds for and against an event happening.
For Evening Practice, students CAN...
  1. view the Khan Video about solving multistep equations that is linked below.  Be ready to solve one tomorrow in class.
  2. solve problem below and post answer to the blog.
    • 5x - (3x + 2) = 1; x = ?




19 comments:

  1. x=1.5
    Jared W. 6 period

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer is X=1.5

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. x=1.5
    3*1.5=4.5
    4.5+2=6.5
    5*1.5=7.5
    7.5-6.5=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer is 1.5

    5(1.5) - 3(1.5) + 2 = 1
    7.5 - 4.5 + 2 = 1
    7.5 - 6.5 = 1
    1 = 1

    Higgs

    ReplyDelete
  5. The answer is 1.5. The steps that I took were first, substituting 1.5 for x. I then did 1.5 times 5, which equals 7.5. Next, I substituted 1.5 for the last variable, so I did 3 times 1.5. I got an answer of 4.5. The equation is left like this after the substituting is done: 7.5-(4.5+2). You always do parentheses first, so I did 4.5 plus 2, which equaled 6.5. The last step is to do 7.5-6.5, which gives you your answer of 1. So all of these steps are otherwise known as simply:

    5(1.5)-(3(1.5)+2)
    7.5-(4.5+2)
    7.5-(6.5)
    1

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the extra time you spent explaining your answer Syd. Great job of going beyond what was required.

      Delete
  6. I don't know....
    sorry -_-

    ~
    Frank N' Beans

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, is that supposed to be a ";"??? I haven't a clue.
    Fail :(

    D-Will

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got x= 1.5

    ~Cheesy Ninja

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't know how to solve these. I just plugged in numbers until I got x for 1.5. I didn't really know what the guy was saying on the video. I just need to learn the right way and then I will probably understand.

    IZZY

    ReplyDelete
  10. x=1.5
    5(1.5) - (3(1.5) + 2)=1
    7.5 - (4.5 +2) =1
    7.5 - 6.5=1
    1=1
    When Khan is describing this equation they say that you must use distributive property. While solving this equation I did the following steps.
    1. Subtracted 5x - 3x=2x.
    2. While using distributive property you must use the same symbol or sign within the parenthesis. Now the equation looks like this 2x-2=1. I added 2 to 1 because the 2 needed to cancel out. The 1 became a 3.
    3. Now I have 2x=3. To isolate the x I divided each side by 2. 2/2 cancels out and 3/2=1.5.
    4. Therefore 1.5 equals x.
    Balthaser

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's x=1.5 because
    3x1.5=4.5
    4.5+2=6.5
    5x1.5=7.5
    7.5-6.5=1

    Miss.Estep

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got -0.5.

    I don't know how but I got 1.





    Herbert

    ReplyDelete
  13. 5x - (3x + 2) = 1; x = 1.5
    You can pretty much use guess and check.
    With 1.5 you do 5*1.5=7.5 - (3*1.5+2) =6.5 so 7.5-6.5 equals 1. x=1.5

    ~Daggett

    ReplyDelete