Thursday, May 03, 2012

Class Topics: 05.03.12

In EDM today, students prepared for their Unit Eight Summative Post-test by collaborating with a peer to complete various review questions from the unit. These questions will hopefully improve each students level of success on Friday's summative post-test.
Today's Learning Intentions: The student will be able to...
  1. identify various rates.
  2. find equivalent fractions.
  3. solve rate problems using proportions.
  4. determine scale factor between two similar shapes.
For Evening Practice, students CAN...
  1. use the Google Form to review for the Unit Eight Summative Post-test.



In Pre-Algebra today, students were introduced to Lesson 9.6: Permutations and Combinations.  We focused on the permutations part primarily of the lesson due to a number of students being absent. 
Today's Learning Intentions: The student will be able to...
  1. state a factorial of a number.
  2. define a permutation.
  3. apply permutations to a problem situation.
For Evening Practice, students CAN...
  1. use the Power Point to answer the blog question posted below the bottom video.



A band wrote a song called
Permutations.  Is it a permutation?  
Explain.

I can't explain it, can't equate it
There is no word for what I'm feeling
I tried to paint it, but it came out a blur
I instigated the actions taken
I bled some ink on notes and paper
You wrote it down once or twice on my arm

Do do do...

Aggravated, self-debating, mindless talk about wrong equations
Collecting socks and shoes to amuse and confuse our friends
You told me once, but I never listen
You told me twice, but I keep forgetting
I'll write it down on a neuron in my head

Do do do...

(bass solo)

I can't explain it, can't equate it
There is no word for what I'm feeling
I tried to paint it, but it came out a blur

Do do do..

23 comments:

  1. Yes it is because the do do dos.
    , chase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like a little better explanation of how this is a permutation. You are better than what this states and I know you have a greater understanding of the content.

      Delete
  2. I don't know i'm really confused on the whole thing so i'm just going to guess that its yes because theres a reason that i just don't know.

    Taylor H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a look at the power point that is under today's topics and see what you get from permutations that way. I appreciate the honesty.

      Delete
  3. Yes, this is a permutation. I think this because the verses are in an arrangement in a certain order. The first verse is like A, second B, third C, so it is ABC... I think.
    ~Lex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is a permutation because the do, do, do's are in a certain way each time they say it in the song. Therefore it is a permutation. Permutaions are just organized combinations.

    IZZY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice insight Izzy especially since you were not in class today.

      Delete
  5. I think this song is a permutation. I think this because the song says " You told me once, but I never listen You told me twice, but I keep forgetting." I think once and twice is an example of permutation. Similar to what Lexi said, three lines of lyrics repeat in the same order. I am not sure though...

    Balthaser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the focus on the once and twice which is somewhat like a factorial, but maybe in reverse order.

      Delete
  6. hEY MR GIOMINI I WATCHED TWO AND A HALF VIDEOS ON YOUR BLOG TODAY I FOUND THE RATIO VIDEO MORE INTENTIVE BECAUSE I COULD EASILY UNDERSTAND IT.


    SKY WALKER, SEE YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that you are using the blog posts and videos Master Skywalker.

      Delete
  7. I do think that it is a permutation because of these two reasons. First is the do do do's. That is a permutation because the do do do's are in a certain order each time. Another reason is that there are lines that repeat and are in a certain order.
    Deuce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work with the Do do dos and I would like to hear you elaborate on your final point a bit more. You might be on to something.

      Delete
  8. Ummmm.... I'm just taking a guess based on the power point. I think that it is a permutation because the defintion of permutation is that " A permutation is an arrangement of things in a certain order. Since the do do do's are inbetween every paragraph, I would think that, that would be in a arrangement/ certain order.
    This is just my guess. Don't blame me if it's wrong! XP

    Dichosa ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave a nice response Dichosa. I will not blame you for anything. Nice job of incorporating the definition into your response.

      Delete
  9. This sounds really lame, but I can't teach myself things. Especially math. I looked at the PP several times, and I can thoroughly say I have no idea what to do, especially with factorials. By combining that with the explanations from other people's comments I can say that other people get this a little bit better than I do... I'll come in someday soon during recess to discuss, or maybe I'll just go to Emily. Eh... I should work on that...

    D-Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D-Will,
      It is not easy at times to direct your own instruction. We will go over this again in class on Friday the 4th to help clarify any misconceptions. Your effort was greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  10. Yes, this is permutation because the do do do's are in a certain order, and the verses are like A B and C. The verses could be in any other order and it wouldn't matter, just like a combination. The do do's have a certain rhythm every time. Sorry I couldn't give a better explanation!

    Cheesy Ninja

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a permutation because of organization of verses, first the Verse A, verse B and the do do do's then verse C and Do do do's, then verse A is repeated and the do do do's to finish. Permutations are based on organization of numbers, I may be wrong, but those are my reasons.

    ~Daggett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daggett,

      I liked your response and felt that you can a solid attempt at answering the question. Don't worry about being correct or incorrect. It is from the opportunity that your understanding may evolve.

      Delete
  12. Yes because the do do do's have a certain order that they go in. Permutations are just things arranged in a certain order. The do do do's are in a certain order every time they are sung.

    ~
    Frank N' Beans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is a permutation because the verses repeat in a certain pattern.

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  14. This song is a permutation because it repeats its self in different patterns every time. The verses are sometimes different but the "do do do's" are always the same.



    GO MAVS! #41

    ReplyDelete