Monday, August 13, 2012

Welcome Class of 2012-2013

Students and Parents,

I am assuming by now that a majority of you have received your Sixth Grade Team Assignments.  Welcome to Team 6B and our Mathematics class.

When you enter the classroom on August 22nd, I look forward to introducing myself to you and getting the year started by working on a Japanese puzzle called a Hashiwokakero.  This type of activity will enable us to develop some mathematical dialogue with each other in an attempt to develop our critical thinking skills.  As we progress through the year, I anticipate that your appreciation, understanding and application of Mathematics will increase.  

Throughout the year, whether you are in Everyday Mathematics or Pre-Algebra, you will be challenged and encouraged to become a reflective learner.  Mathematics is a science that requires critical-thinking skills.  A book that I have just begun, The Global Achievement Gap by Tony Wagner, defines critical-thinking in several ways, but one that I find most engaging is:

Critical-thinking skills include the ability to apply abstract 
knowledge to solve a problem and to develop and execute
a solution - the ability to think broadly and deeply.  It means 
having and using a framework for problem-identification-
assumptions and facts, acquiring information, viewing alternative
solutions.  Another part of critical thinking is surrounding yourself
with people who have differences of opinion and who can help
you come to the best solution: team-based leadership.

School is about learning who you are as a person and learner.  This process is greatly fostered when you reflect on both your successes and failures.  During the course of the year, we will celebrate our achievements and become stronger mathematicians by analyzing and learning from our errors.  Neither success nor failure is final.

In relentless pursuit of excellence,

Mr. Giomini


Mr. Giomini during lunch.  

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Giomini I know technically you are not my teacher but you used to be and I just want to say that you taught me great last year and so did the other teachers. This year new teachers will teach me new things and through the whole entire year I will remember the day I walked in your classroom and thought oh great another year of school but when i left that classroom for the last time I thought jeeze... that was fast i wish it was longer. Thank you Mr . Giomini for being an AMAZING teacher. You will be missed by me a lot. Happy new school year. Have a great year.

    Sincerely,

    Casey Mann

    ReplyDelete